Monday 30 October 2017

RSPB Phoenix Conservation Weekend 27th-29th October 2017, Day 1

On Friday, we left home at around 1pm, prepared - if not a little over-prepared - for the RSPB Phoenix conservation weekend in Dorset, for those who are 13-18 year old members of the RSPB and receive the 'Phoenix' magazine. 
After a longish journey, with a couple of stops including one at Lyndhurst in the New Forest where I saw a single Hawfinch, I was dropped off at the YHA New Forest. Although extremely excited, I had no idea what to expect and knew absolutely nobody. When I had registered, I went into my room and met my first companion - a chilled, happy guy from Notts, with an unusual but nice farmers' hat, who loved his horses and birds. After getting to know him a bit, the next person came in, a comical but friendly guy from France, called Luke. Soon afterwards, the final person that I would share a room with came in; Olly was slightly closer to the New Forest, from Berkshire. After getting to know each other, we had dinner and then afterwards we had a bit more time to talk to each other. 

In order to prepare us for the conservation work at Arne on Saturday, we were given a talk in the evening, with everyone squeezed into the small dining room. It was a very good talk, explaining the importance of all the work that is undertaken not just Arne but all RSPB reserves in the South of the country, and how it's beneficial to the wildlife there. With many of us very keen to see many of the species there, such as the Dartford Warbler and Spoonbill, it was interesting to hear about all the things that are done to help them. Also, we were told about all conservation work across the variety of habitats, with sites such as Radipole Lakes and Lodmoor often discussed as well as Arne. Also covered was the history of the site, and how it has developed into the great reserve that it is.   

Presentation, done by ...
(The names will come to me eventually)
Afterwards, we were given free-time to settle in, and to talk to other people. As most people were playing games, within our room I found out that my new friends were really friends when they were happy to play cricket in the corridor. 
Saturday was the day where we would go to Arne for the day to work in the field, to learn a number of things. 


(Note to all friends met on the trip; 
Please stay in contact as it was great to meet all of you. Here is a way to contact me. Please leave your email on the form, and I'll get in touch.) 

Day 1
Day 2

6 comments:

  1. A great way to get more actively involved in your love of ornithology Arjun. It is good to have multiple facets in the enjoyment of this most wonderful of hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Steve, it was a trip that I loved and hope to go on more of these trips.

      Delete
  2. Hi arjun thanks for including me and as much as it pains me to say it he knows more birds than me ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying; is that a compliment or something you are admitting with regret? :)
      It was nice to meet you there mate

      Delete
    2. Compliment sorry if it sounded that way

      Delete
    3. You were good at spotting the birds, making up for my poor eyesight; just a shame we couldn't see some more birds at Arne.
      Hopefully see you again soon

      Delete